Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Happy Parent(s), Happy Baby

You'll often here the phrase happy mom means happy baby. I even use this from time to time. Because, well, it's mostly true. Or maybe it's only true because the opposite is most definitely true. Unhappy mom means unhappy baby.

But through all of this aren't we are forgetting about one really important person in the baby's life?

The father.

What about him? If he's unhappy in the situation does it not matter? Moms happy. Baby's happy. And dad... well apparently no one cares about him.

I know the saying can't be happy couple happy baby because it does leave out the single parents out there. Maybe something like happy parent(s) happy baby.

Because it takes 2 to make a baby and all should have a say with what goes on in the babies life.

Two parents living together or apart, whether husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend or just friends, should have some say with what goes on in the baby's life and both should come to agree on what this is. And even if the two aren't together and especially if they are they should treat each other with respect. No child should have to listen to their parents scream at each other. That doesn't make a happy baby. It makes an insecure baby.

I won't say I don't fight with my husband in front of Em, I do. But our fights never even feel real. In the middle of yelling at him for not picking up his socks he makes me laugh and we kiss and I thrust the socks at his chest and he puts them in the laundry basket.

If that isn't exactly how it goes it is something very similar.

And I really like this. We fight in front of Em, yes. I didn't want to, at first, but now I think it's a good idea if it isn't too big. She will learn that just because you fight doesn't mean you hate each other. And I think that's a great lesson to learn.

0 comments:

Post a Comment