Thursday, July 18, 2013

Parenting On Instinct

When you read attachment parenting articles/books/blogs you'll usually read something about it being instinct if we listen to ourselves rather than others.

I'm here to say that's a lie.

What would I have done had I not read anything?

I'd have used a stroller. I'd have bought jarred baby food. And above all I would have formula fed.

What to I do instead? Babywear. Make homemade baby food (with the use of this lovely website) and breastfeed.

As for other attachment parenting ideals. Disposable diapers and crib sleeping for me!

Breastfeeding wasn't instinct for me. The first days were not hard. She latched easily and ate as the websites said she would. 1-3 hours.

No that was all right. Breastfeeding itself was awkward though. I didn't enjoy it. I wanted to give the baby a bottle and the only thing that stopped me (besides my stubborn nature) was the websites saying how much better it was. I read the benefits over and over etching them in my memory.  Breast was best and would give her lifelong benefits. My aversion would NOT stop me from providing that for her.
After a few weeks. I'd say between the 5-6 week it got better just like that and I enjoyed the special time Em and I got to relax together.

But instinct had nothing to do with it. Instinct would have led me to formula.

Because in reality instinct for humans is not the same as for other animals. We are in fact different from our four legged friends.

I don't know if at some point humans relied on instinct or if we've just gone with what works. To me it is our brains that are our instincts and it is not the same.

Humans do what is socially and culturally acceptable. Is this a bad thing? Yes and no.

We have evolved. We are shaped by the world we've created, products of our environment. Sometimes we get it right, sometimes we don't.

But the idea of relying just on instinct to raise our children? No. We're too smart for that and our instincts can betray us.

Or it did me.

So research. But be smart about it. If you feel strongly about something do it, no matter what the research says.

Huh. That went against my whole post didn't it?

I guess what I'm trying (and FAILING) to say is be the best parent you know how to be. Listen to your instincts, yes, but it doesn't hurt to look into things either.

0 comments:

Post a Comment