Thursday, July 11, 2013

Weaning or Extended Breastfeeding?

If there was only one word I could use to describe myself it would be stubborn.  No doubt about it. Ask my husband... or my brothers, sister, mom, friends, next door neighbor... random guy on the street. Honestly, whoever. (Or would that be whomever?)

Sometimes it is pretty annoying... usually when it leads to never ending arguments. And I even WANT to stop and agree for times sake but something in me just doesn't give in.

Other times though it is quite handy. Like when I want something ; ) or even better when I want to prove something.

And honestly that's what happened with breastfeeding.

My husband said one day "well you'll probably only end up breastfeeding until 6 months"

His certainty that I would stop before my year goal made me determined to prove him wrong.  Though sometimes I just wanted some sleep and oh how easy it would have been to open up that can of formula the hospital gifted us... but I didn't because I kept hearing my husbands voice.

I would make it past 6 months and then on to a year if it killed me!

Passed one! Just another 6 months and ill pass the other.

I don't plan on giving formula so I'll begin the weaning process after a year with a goal of being completely weaned between 16-18 months.

Why? Why not longer? Why wean and not continue nursing?

Well. The answer is not a simple one. Do I think its wrong? disgusting? Unnatural? Perverted?

No. Not at all.

Do I not enjoy it and wish I could quit now?

No. I love breastfeeding. I love how soothing it is and the break it gives me.

Am I worried about what others think?

No. I'm the parent and those who have a problem with it don't matter?

Am I unaware the WHO recommends until age 2 or the benefits continue.

No. I know all of that.

So why?

Because although I love it I believe 18 months is a good age to stop. To me that's the right age.

I don't know when or how some of our society became so barycentric.

If someone wants to breastfed their child until 3 go right ahead. Maybe that is the proper age. Who knows? The natural way to do things with humans has always been a little iffy. Another post on that another time. BUT this idea that they HAVE to self wean? Honestly do people really believe that's natural? Almost all animals wean their babies rather than waiting for them to wean themselves.

And don't even get me started on solid food and baby led weaning. Oh dear . Once again another post for another day.

So although I will be extended nursing (anything past a year, right?) I do have a time frame in which I want to wean. And you know what? There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I sometimes see another mother attacked for a planned weaning age. It usually goes something like this.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to begin the weaning process? I want to start so my LO will be off the breast by 12 months

While some posts are helpful usually there are many still that are something like this...

-Can you please explain why you want to wean so early?

-You know you'll have to give formula if you want to be done BY 12 months

-Just let her wean when she wants to! There ARE still benefits after the year!

And so on and so forth. Usually never answering the question.Let me tell you a little secret about breastfeeding that if it got out would probably result in a lot more babies being breastfed. Want to hear it?

It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

There you have it.

These websites you read now make it seem like you can NEVER give a bottle. Not ONE DROP of that RAT POISON they call FORMULA. You MUST wear your baby, co-sleep, and NEVER be out of your babies sight. You HAVE to breastfeed until the baby decides when to stop.

Any breastfeeding is good and honestly just take it one day at a time. Have a goal. One month.  Six months. One year. Try your best to reach the goal and when you get there decide if you want to go on or quit because you can.

As for me, I have my goal and we will see what happens when I get there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment