Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Why I Breastfeed..

When I was little it was never a question I'd thought about. My dolls were given bottles of pretend formula. And I always imagined myself doing the same for my real babies.

Formula is EVERYWHERE. In my entire life I've seen someone breastfeeding all of 3 times. 2 were not even in the U.S.

I'm not sure why I even decided I would breastfeed. No one in my family did (except my own mom for all of 3 months) so it wasn't normal to me.

But when I got pregnant I researched everything. (Really--Everything) And I read What to Expect In The First Year which had quite a bit of information on breastfeeding alone. I read articles about the benefits. I read articles about the benefits being way overestimated. I read about the bonding and articles about how time consuming it was. I read about doctors who pushed formula and women getting in traps by schedules and supplements.

By the time I was 25 weeks pregnant I swore I was an expert. And I decided a few things.

1. I was going to breastfeed.
2. I would breastfeed for 1 year
3. I would not supplement

All three of these things I decided I would do for my baby. Not me. If it was up to me. Formula. But this was my baby and no one can convince me formula is just as good for babies.

It's not.

Science is a wonderful amazing thing but nature is better.

Now I don't want to sound judgmental because if breastfeeding hadn't been an option I wouldn't have thought twice about using formula but because it was an option I didn't think twice about not.

So back to the real question. Why do I breastfeed?

1. For my daughter: It's natural. There is nothing artificial about it. It's giving her the best start possible.

2. For me: I didn't realize it at first but now I do. I also breastfeed for me. It's relaxing and easy and I feel better about myself as a mom by doing so.

3. For my family: Breastfeeding is so much cheaper! And it saves my husband and I lots of money every month.

4. For everyone: I honestly believe the more normal breastfeeding becomes, the more women will start doing it (much to the dismay of formula companies) and I think I contribute to making it more normal so one day another women will see it's the best way to go

Why do you breastfeed? Or why don't you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment