Monday, September 23, 2013

Air Travel with Baby

Next week, Tuesday morning at 12am to be exact, I will be getting on a plane with Em and flying home to Kansas to see my family.

There are SO many great things about this statement. Like how she finally gets to meet her family from that side, which in just immediate family is 2 uncles, 1 aunt, 6 cousins, 3 grandparents, and 3 great grandparents. All of which are SO excited to meet her as well. The lower altitude helps growth and there is so many things, finger foods at least, that just don't exist here in Quito. And a million other things.

But there are bad things too. One, we're leaving dadas here for two and a half months! We'll be back before Christmas and her birthday but still, it's a LONG time.

Two, I hate flying. I'm afraid of it. As in, shaking in my seat and praying the whole time until we touch down terrified.  And I'm going with my 9 month old.

I don't want to go just because of this.

I'm not sure what happened. I used to love flying and then one time I just got on the plane and became a shaking pile of goo, tapping my seat, holding onto an old woman hand for comfort as she promised it was all going to be just fine. Yeah, that was me. So, yeah, not looking forward to the plane ride.

But in order to go home and see my family and have them meet Em, it's a necessary evil.

I'm trying not to worry but hello? I'm a mom. And I worry, even more than I did before. But I'm going to try anyway.

Anyway, even though I am afraid I have started packing because when you worry it's always best to get something done. Time goes faster and the worry isn't right there on the surface. Still there but not as noticeable.

So I decided to make a list. I don't want to take a lot of stuff aboard the place. That's just too much to worry about. I want to go with light and easy. This is what I've come up with... just for Em. For me, I used the one page packing list but am going to go ahead and check my bag anyway.

  • Diapering Supplies
    • 7 diapers (other websites say 1 for each hour plus extras. WHAT? I'm sorry but that's just plain ridiculous. I didn't use a diaper every hour when she was a newborn, and I'm not going to use that now. I picked 7 because I usually change her diaper about 6 times in 24 hours. We'll be traveling for about 12 hours)
    • Travel wipes - package comes with about 48 wipes. Can't see us needing more than that
    • Plastic bags - this could go in any section because it works for dirty clothes, spoons, diapers, and so on. A must have!
  • Can't Live Without
    • Bunny bear - Em's bear she sleeps with. CANNOT. LEAVE. WITHOUT.
    • Small toy - for distracting
    • Wrap - For Em to sleep in during the plane and to carry while going everywhere else
  • Clothes
    •  2 extra outfits. I'm going to Kansas and I have no idea what the weather will do. That's the beauty of Kansas! So I'm taking one for warm weather and one for colder weather.
    • 1 pair of socks
    • Pajamas - I think these are actually called rompers. Either way they are these footed pajama like things. I don't think I'll feel like unloading everything when I get home.
    • Jacket - Just in case its on the chilly side
  • Food/Drink
    • 2 bibs
    • 2 spoons
    • Measured rice cereal
    • Measured formula
    • 2 bottles for mixing
    • 2 food bowls with lids
    • 4 baby food jars (1 meat, 1 veggie, 2 fruits) 
  •  Miscellaneous
    • Fever reducer
    • Thermometer
Some maybe wondering what about a blanket? Well, I have a jacket for her and the wrap she'll be in will keep us both plenty warm. Not taking a car seat or stroller because we have those waiting for us when we arrive and I didn't buy her a ticket. Plus my car seat that we bought here isn't approved for air travel... or at least it doesn't have a sticker saying so. But as for everything else... Have I forgotten anything? Please let me know if you think so!

Also any advice??

0 comments:

Post a Comment