Wednesday, June 12, 2013

First Year Nutrition

The other day I was reading a forum and found a question I'd wondered myself even though I thought I knew the answer.

It was something like "Is 5 feedings a day enough for my 6 month old?"

How would I have answered?

Yes. Just keep an eye on diaper count and you should be fine. Also if she needs 6 feedings one day don't say no. Feed her when she's hungry if that's 10 feedings then feed her 10 but if its 5 feed her 5.

To me that sounds reasonable. But that is not the response this women got.

No. She got things like this...

"I feed my 3 year old 5 times a day! And my 8th month old still eats 8-10 times a day! That is not enough!"

There were maybe 4 responses almost exactly like that.

I have a few things to say about that.

1. Let's not forget all babies are different. Just because YOUR baby eats that many times doesn't mean HERS has to.

2. I may get alot of... what to call it? Slack? Sure. But I'm gonna say it anyway. Your 3 year old does not NEED to nurse 5 times a day. He/she WANTS to.

3. 8-10 feedings a day is probably fine fir her 8 month old but she probably doesn't get as much as this womans child in the same feeding.

4. Stop judging! I mean as long as the baby is gaining weight what does the number of feedings matter?

I wanted to make an account just so I could comment on the question so at least someone who say it was just fine.

But I knew I would have also said something directed at the other women and then wouldn't I be just like them?

Judging another mother because she does something differently. So I refrained. But it got me thinking...

Formula. Breastmilk. Stroller. Wrap. Crib. Co-sleeping.

Just stop.

If it was... Feed. Starve. Talk. Hit. Watch. Ignore. Love. Hate. Then yes! Get involved but let's stop all this nonsense. If the baby is loved fed sheltered and clothed. Well let the mom do it how she wants to.

Am I wrong here?

I was talking to someone on Monday and mentioned breastfeeding going ok but I was concerned about weight gain and instead of asking about the weight gain issue it was "oh my god. You're still breastfeeding? Don't be one if those mothers who breastfeed forever. "So and so" breasted "baby" until 18 months and it was so gross."

I don't know how long I'm going to breastfeed. I hope for the full year. But whatever I choose its my choice. No one else's.

And I could have spouted off all these facts about breastfeeding and how formula doesn't even come close and how on earth she could have formula fed her kids but I didn't.

Why?

Because her children are HERS not mine. And I have no say in how she fed them.

I only ask for the same thing in return.

Well, that's my rant for the day. Besides all that... hope everyone is having a good week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment